Japanese News Coverage of Republican Debate Translated

Before we get to the funny pictures, I confess that after hours of laboring on this post, I was curious as to just how racially insensitive I was being to the Japanese culture. I am not a linguist and I don't speak Japanese, yet I was operating on an assumption of what English translations of Japanese sounds like. Most of these assumptions probably came from television so it was possible that I was way off base from reality. If my TV fed assumptions were right, then the Japanese language is poetic and direct all at the same time, and when translated back into English, many words are required to convey a point.

I had justified to myself that we deal in stereotypes all the time. Some stereotypes are benign. Their propagation does not foster enmity in any way. As a black male, I am keenly aware of that there are  stereotypes that strangers harbor of me that I may find favorable or detrimental. As a complex organism, any of those traits may or may not be true of me. If anyone were to describe me to another person, all I would ask is that they were accurate, whether or not their descriptions included black stereotypical behavior.

In that spirit I decided that I would verify the comedic premise of this post with the very first website that would back me up, and here is a link to that page. So with no further ado, here is Japanese news coverage of the CNN Republican debate translated into English.







No comments:

Post a Comment