AOTL's Black History Month Extravaganza Kickoff


It figures that a country that endeavored to keep Blacks out of its business establishments and best restrooms would also exclude Blacks from its textbooks. Eleven years before creating Negro History Week in 1926, Carter G. Woodson undertook the feat of creating an academic discipline from the chronicles Africans in America. Fifty years had passed since the end of slavery and for the first time the suggestion of black history was being made. It would be as if nothing about the Vietnam War appeared in textbooks until 2025. Woodson’s move to promote learning and knowledge of black history was crucial to a fuller accounting of American history. And even with this achievement, he probably still took lots of shit for that big-ass fo'head. You know how people can be. 

6 comments:

  1. Get some rest. I don't get the Vietnam sentence. This blog is too short to make fun of his looks (it would be funny if it didn't seem petty within the context of the rest of the article) it undermines the awareness to justice you are providing us. Thank you for addressing the contributions of Carter Woodson though :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my anonyomous opinion...anyone else agree?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree with Anonymous. He does have a big ass 4head. I get the Vietnam sentence. The Other Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Anonymous #1 - Thanks for reading. Some petty humor can bring up provocative points. For example, if I made light of Teddy Roosevelt's weight would you be as vigilant? This is a blog, not an altar. I think Woodson's legacy can withstand a reference to his forehead. I'll get my rest when you get a sense of humor : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are the other Anonymous, Chip Dornell; you are assuming that I am African American, and yes, I am "vigilant" about you poking fun at Teddy Roosevelt's weigt (that's not nice). Get some rest, I do ahave a sense of humor; you very compellingly build Carter Woodson up, only to poke fun at an inconsequential body feature, which is what racism is about. Is this conversation compelling enough for you, without getting an attitude?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like your work most of the time. Anonymous #1.

    ReplyDelete